Pieces from the Green Frog Service
England, Staffordshire, Etruria Factory
Queen's Ware, painted in brown enamel with frogs in green
This creamware service, in a style typical of articles produced by Wedgwood, was commissioned by Catherine the Great in 1773. It was intended for
the Chesme Palace - at one time called La Grenouillere or Kekerekeksinen, because of its location on a frog marsh, which explains the green frog
emblem on every one of the 952 pieces of the service. The historical value of the 1,244 views of buildings and landscapes in various parts of
England, together with the variety of forms and refined combination of colours, distinguish this service among the other items of English ceramics
in the Hermitage.