Badge of the Order of St Alexander Nevsky
Late 18th - early 19th century
Gilded bronze, enamel and glass insets
The Order of St Alexander Nevsky was established in 1725 in accordance with the conception of Peter the Great. It had no classes and a previous recipient was promoted by the award of diamond badges. Up until 1816 the badges were made of "ruby glass" and were massive. The cross was attached to a red moire ribbon worn over the left shoulder and the eight-pointed star with the motto "For labours and the fatherland" on the left breast. Badges of the late18th - early 19th century are extremely rare.
All rights reserved. Image Usage Policy.
About the Site