Calendar Services Feedback Site Map Help Home Digital Collection Children & Education Hermitage History Exhibitions Collection Highlights Information


 











4: The North-Western Corner of the Winter Palace in 1840s


Need help with HotMedia?

1840s 1900s 2005


Other views

View of the landing stage by the Winter Palace
Ludwig Bohnstedt
Larger view

 

View of the Winter Palace from the Tower of the Kunstkammer
Unknown engraver
Larger view

 

View of the Spit of Vasilyevsky Island
Ivan Chesky
Larger view

 

previous

next

The windows in the projecting north-western part of the palace provided a splendid view of the Admiralty, the Neva and the Spit of Vasilyevsky Island. In front of the palace was a landing-stage, while the parapet of the embankment was adorned by porphyry vases and bronze sculptures of lions on granite pedestals. The building of the Admiralty (1806-23, architect: Andreyan Zakharov) was surrounded by a boulevard where Petersburgers liked to stroll. The Spit of Vasilyevsky Island was turned into an ensemble in 1805-10 when the trade port located there was given a grand appearance befitting its surroundings in the centre of the capital. That period saw the construction of the majestic Exchange building and the erection of the Rostral Columns (architect: Thomas de Thomon), together with the creation of a granite slope down to the Neva.

 

Copyright © 2011 State Hermitage Museum
All rights reserved. Image Usage Policy.
About the Site