Need help with HotMedia?
|| next room
The Concert Hall was designed in the Winter Palace by the architect
Vasily Stasov after the fire of 1837. It is the last hall in the
suite of rooms facing the Neva River next to the Large Hall, the
biggest one in the palace. Both halls have a similarly proportional
and rhythmical design. The common classical character of the two
interiors is accentuated by their austere white colour scheme. The
double plain columns with Corinthian capitals set along the walls
bear a cornice over which statues of antique muses and goddesses
by the sculptor Johann Hermann are arranged. The hall is used to
exhibit the silver tomb of Prince Alexander Nevsky, commissioned
by Empress Elisabeth and made at the St Petersburg Mint in 1747-52.
It was transferred from the Cathedral of the Holy Trinity of the
Alexander Nevsky Lavra (Monastery) in 1922.