Calendar Services Feedback Site Map Help Home Digital Collection Children & Education Hermitage History Exhibitions Collection Highlights Information














67: The Concert Hall    


The Reliquary of St Alexander Nevsky
1747-52
Full size image
 
Detail of the interior
Full size image
 

previous room next room

 

The Concert Hall that concludes the Winter Palace's Neva Enfilade was created by the architect Vasily Stasov after the 1837 fire. Its Classical architectural composition was executed in austere tones of white and follows the divisions and rhythms of the adjoining Nicholas Hall, the largest in the palace. Paired Corinthian columns support a cornice bearing statues of the ancient muses and the goddess Flora. The huge silver reliquary of St Alexander Nevsky was created in St Petersburg to a commission from Empress Elizabeth Petrovna. In 1922 this shrine was transferred to the State Hermitage from the Alexander Nevsky Monastery.

 

 

Copyright © 2011 State Hermitage Museum
All rights reserved. Image Usage Policy.
About the Site