Boris Borisovich Piotrovsky: 100 Anniversary
On 14 February 2008, in the Picket Hall of the Winter Palace an exhibition has been opened in honour of the eminent archaeologist, orientalist, historian and director of the State Hermitage Museum from 1964 to 1990, Boris Borisovich Piotrovsky (1908 - 1990).
The exposition consists of approximately two hundred items, including material from the archives: B.B. Piotrovsky’s autobiography, his manuscripts, diaries, ditties in verse and sketches; personal reports on staff, dated November 1945.
Numerous prizes which can be seen at the exhibition demonstrate the high regard with which Piotrovsky’s services were being held, not only within Russia but worldwide: state and governmental awards, medals and letters of recommendation, as well as memorial badges and medals from various organizations and societies.
The huge academic legacy left by Boris Borisovich Piotrovsky (more than 500 written works), consisting of monographs and articles, catalogues and albums about the State Hermitage Museum which were either written by him or which he edited.
The discovery and study of the ancient kingdom of Urartu which existed in the Caucasus in 11th-6th centuries BC, established a new sphere in historical research. The results of his excavations, their study and publication of the richest findings brought the scholar worldwide fame and state awards. The monuments of Urartian art and culture were displayed in memory of the Academic Boris Borisovich Piotrovsky.
Numerous photographs are associated with B.B.Piotrovsky’s work in the State Hermitage Museum, on archaeological expeditions, trips and business trips. A significant portion of the photographs tells about his encounters with governmental and public figures, creative intelligentsia, scholars and children, about the opening of exhibitions in the museum and abroad. The director of the State Hermitage Museum is depicted in his office, in museum halls and while traveling to work.
The exhibition was prepared by the Research Library, the Numismatic Department and the Manuscripts and Archival Department of the State Hermitage Museum.
An illustrated catalogue has been produced for the exhibition (State Hermitage Publishing House, 2008). The exhibition curator is Olga Georgievna Zimina, the deputy director of the Research Library of the State Hermitage Museum.