The Beautiful has Come. Portrait Masterpieces from the Egyptian Museum of Berlin
23 June 2009, The Beautiful has Come. Portrait Masterpieces from the Egyptian Museum of Berlin exhibition prepared by the State Hermitage in cooperation with the Egyptian Museum and papyrus collection of Berlin was opened in the Picket Room of the Winter Palace (Hall N 196).
The exhibits displayed at the exhibition were taken away from Germany in time of the Second World War and were kept in the State Hermitage until 1958; they were returned to the Egyptian Museum of Berlin the same year.
Three sculptural heads from the workshop of Tuthmosis created in the middle of the 14th century BC are presented at the exhibition. They are: Head of Young Nefertiti (sandstone, colouring); Head of Nefertiti as a Mature Woman (granodiorite); Head of the princess, daughter of Nefertiti and Akhenaten (sandstone), as well as Head of Amasis (grey wacke) created in the middle of the 6th century BC. These pieces of plastique belong to the best portrait images that have ever been created in Egypt.
The exhibition curator is Andrey Bolshakov, doctor of science in history,
head of the section of the Ancient Orient of the State Hermitage. The exhibition
is accompanied by academic illustrated catalogue (The State
Hermitage Publishing House, 2009), the author of the catalogue is Andrey
Bolshakov. Scientific conference Petersburg Egyptology Readings 2009
was timed to the exhibition. It takes place in the museum