100th Anniversary of the Hermitage Garage
In 2011 the Winter Palace Garage celebrates its 100th anniversary. The heir to the Imperial Garage in the Winter Palace is the Road Transport Department of the State Hermitage.
The history of the garage began in 1910 when Emperor Nicholas II ordered
the construction of a special building on the territory of the Winter
Palace. In 1911, architect N. I. Kramskoy
The Winter Palace Garage is a simple single storey building under a gambrel
roof, with almost no decorations. It can be seen from the windows of the
St. George Hall and Sivkov Passage. The walls are made from slag-concrete
blocks on binding solution from high quality Portland cement, the floor
consists of sandstone tiles and the ceiling is concrete. The metal roof
frame was made by the Saint Petersburg Metal Factory. The Imperial Garage
is one of the earliest constructions known to have used such construction
technology. Ideal conditions were set up for keeping cars. The garage’s
interior was split into two parts with a ratio of about 1:3.
When they entered the garage, cars came to the car wash, then passed through a glass gate into the far part of the garage to the car park. On the back wall are the exit gates. The garage was warm and dry, so the emperor’s cars were safe from rust. They didn’t freeze and they started easily. The garage had an air conditioning system, which had an electric motor. Daylight fell on the garage through an elegant skylight and large windows. On the roof of the far part of the garage were unusual looking (like knight’s armour) air conditioning units. To the right of the garage was an underground petrol storage tank, with capacity up to 100 poods of petrol, above which was a petrol pump.
The Imperial garage was the largest car plant in Russia of its time.
All the cars were split into several categories. The highest category
was for the Imperial cars, which were very expensive and comfortable even
for those times:
The garage building is today almost in its original condition and is an example of an early 20th century garage.
The Garage in the Winter Palace continues to be used by the Road Transport Department for its original purpose, cars from the State Hermitage “live” there.
Employees from the Road Transport Department manage passenger and goods transportation, take part in work on mechanising cleaning of the court yards and driveways in the State Hermitage, as well as high and loading and unloading work.
The Road Transport Department of the State Hermitage has production and
technical facilities, with
The vehicles are installed with MMT devices (petrol modifiers), which reduce fuel consumption and the emission of toxic substances from the exhaust. A satellite navigation system guarantees flexible vehicle dispatch management and instant reaction to emergency situations.
The control and diagnostics section uses diagnostic devices which make it possible to keep strict control of vehicle preparation before journeys.
Regular work on providing traffic safety, aimed at controlling drivers and driver training have helped to reduce road accidents.
In 2011 the Road Transport Department received the International Transport Award “The Golden Chariot”, founded by the State Duma of the Federal Assembly of Russian Federation Committee for Transport and the Ministry of Transport.