The Hermitage-Vyborg Center
In June, 2010 the Hermitage-Vyborg Center was opened. The project was initiated in November, 2007 upon signing the Agreement for cooperation between the State Hermitage, the Government of the Leningrad region and the Vyborg District Municipality of the Leningrad region.
The Center is located on Panzerlax bastion in a building built in 1930
according to the project of Vyborg's leading architect Uno Verner Ulberg
The official opening of a new cultural center in Vyborg was held on October 12, 1930. Over ten years the museum compiled a huge collection of Finnish and European art. It also included the works of Russian masters. By late 30s the Vyborg Museum became the second most significant art museum of Finland, next to Ateneum (Helsinki).
Upon the defeat in the winter war
In the Soviet period in the Vyborg history the building of former Art Museum and Art School was used by various institutions. Sine 2003 the Children's School of Art was placed in its left wing while the right wing remained empty and destroyed. The decision on founding the Hermitage-Vyborg Center there marked the start of reviving the Vyborg's renowned architecture sample and resuming its initial museum role.
The restoration and reconstruction project anticipated the preservation
of the historical view of Uno Ulberg's creation, the repair and
The Hermitage-Vyborg Center starts its activities with a
Public awareness campaign is another important kind of cultural
cooperation between the Hermitage and Vyborg. Lectures of the State
Hermitage were initiated in Vyborg in 2007 in the premises
of the Children's School of Art. The Hermitage's art
historians delivered lectures on the history of world art
to adults and students. Upon the opening of the Hermitage-Vyborg
Center its visitors, both adults and children, will be able
to take part in exhibitions, lectures, educational programs
prepared by the specialists of the State Hermitage.
An educational center equipped with modern projection equipment