The bowl with a breast-length depiction of a young beauty and a flying band with an inscription bella (beautiful) belongs to the so-called "Lovers' Cups" - a special series of majolica produced in Castel Durante. In the 15th-16th centuries such bowls and dishes were presented to the beloved. The band carries an inscription CAMILLA BELLA (Camilla the Beautiful). The bands of such decorative bowls were decorated with common female names. The image was not supposed to have a portrait likeness; the value of the work consisted in the fact that itrk carried the name of the beloved one. Special brightness is given to the majolica by the gleams of the glaze, the so-called lustre. Lustre painting consisted in applying a pigment with metallic oxides to the already glazed surface of pottery which was then re-fired.This added metallic glitter to the product.
Bowl (Coppa Amatoria) with a Bust of a Young Woman
Place of creation:
painting over opaque white tin glaze and lustre
diam. 24 cm
Entered the Hermitage in 1920; formerly in the M.P. Botkin collection