Web Content Viewer (JSR 286)

Actions
Loading...
  • Icon: Sts Florus and Laurus

    Technique:
    tempera on panel and gilding
    Dimensions:
    48x36 cm

Icon: Sts Florus and Laurus

Russia, Late 15th - 16th century

Sts Florus and Laurus were martyrs, 2nd-century stonemason brothers who were secretly of the Christian faith. They took part in the building of a pagan temple, but as soon as construction was completed they removed the pagan idols and turned it into a church. The pagans seized the brothers and threw them into an empty well, tossing heavy stones after them. In ancient Rus, Florus and Laurus were honoured as the patron saints of livestock. Their images were often to be found on Novgorod and northern Russian icons. The saints are shown here full length, holding crosses in their right hands. They wear chitons (long shirts) and robes. Their faces reveal a difference in age, Florus being the elder. The simplified forms, the distorted proportions of the figures and the facial types are evidence that this icon is the work of a local master from the Russian North.

Title:

Icon: Sts Florus and Laurus

Place:

Technique:

tempera on panel and gilding

Dimensions:

48x36 cm

Acquisition date:

Entered the Hermitage in 1957; handed over from the Lyadinsky village council, Kargopolsky District, Arkhangelsk Oblast

Inventory Number:

ЭРИ-231

Category: